The first phase of the aqueduct in Chisinau was put into operation on December 12, 1892, with the capacity of 200 thousand water boilers per day; source – water capture from springs (fountain at the foot of Mazarachie hill). In the same year, the “Water Plant” (Uzina de Apa) was created.
The first record of the water supply in the fountain of Chisinau dated 1828, when the city Duma adopted the Decision regarding its arrangement and the construction of the necessary facilities. These works were completed in 1834. From this moment on, the city’s water supply begins by delivering water to the consumer.
What does the water supply and sewage household in Chisinau municipality represent nowadays? It is a complex of water supply systems, with water catchment facilities from the Nistru River, built since 1958 (first phase) and a water treatment plant, built in several stages, since 1970 to 1985. The total capacity of aqueduct installation is 384.9 thousand m3 per day, the underground water pipe – 137 artesian wells, of which 76 are functioning, 61 of them built during the ecological catastrophe of the Nistru River, caused by the accident at the Kalium Production Plant from Stebnicovsk (Ukraine) are preserved.
The water is supplied by the water supply system of 1560 km in length, maximum diameter – 1400mm, by steel, cast iron, reinforced concrete, polyethylene pipes.
For the purposes of gathering water, a reservoir park is used, the volume of which equals to 181.0 thousand m3 in 50 tanks. In recent years, the volume of water supplied per day, for known reasons, has dropped sharply to 190.0 thousand m3 / day.
Wastewater removal and treatment is provided in full volume, but not in the full cycle of urban wastewater treatment plants (missing the sludge treatment section, which is replaced with mud platforms). Wastewater is transported through the 900 km sewerage network.
The development of the water supply and sewerage networks of the capital, in the past, generally corresponded to the pace of construction of the city, but, unfortunately, it has not constantly evolved.
In 1905, the first artesian well with a depth of 135 m was drilled on the territory of the former “Apa-Canal” Directorate, which is still in operation. In 1925, the second artesian well was drilled, and in 1937 – the third. Three artesian wells operated until 1940.
Later, water castles regulating water volumes, were built on Kotovski Street and Livezilor Street. The capacity of the city aqueduct has reached a target of 5500 m3 / day.
Until the end of 50s, the aqueduct in Chisinau developed from the underground aquifer horizon; 1948-1951 – Balsevski water intake line, 1953-1954 – Petricani water intake line, 1957-1958 – Malina Mica water intake line, 1967-1969 – Ialoveni and Ghidighici water intake lines.
Already in the last century, the architect, Alexandru Bernardazzi, argued the necessity of using water from the Nistru River, claiming that the aqueduct in the Nistru River is the final goal to be pursued by the Chisinau City Directorate. That is why, through the decisions of the Government of the republic and the city authorities, the development of the prospects of the water supply networks was oriented towards the development of the Nistru aqueduct.
In 1928, the first sewage pumping station was build.
In 1968, a part of the complex of the sewage treatment complex – mechanical treatment was put into operation.
In 1974, the first phase of the sewage treatment plant, with the capacity of 200 thousand m3 / day was put into operation.
In 1976, the second phase, with the capacity of 125 thousand m3 / day, was put into operation and, during 1983-1984, the capacity was increased by 115 thousand m3 / day.
S.A. “Apa-Canal Chisinau” provides about 800 thousand inhabitants with fresh water, wastewater removal and treatment within 24 hours.
The priority task of our activity is to provide the residents of the capital, at a real price, quality fresh water, wastewater removal and treatment, according to the norms and standards of the Republic of Moldova.
In order to accomplish the aforementioned tasks, the possibilities of mainstreaming the operation of and modernizing the enterprise are permanently identified. Works to implement certain modern technologies, including to rehabilitate water supply networks, based on new materials and equipment, to apply pure ecological water treatment methods, electricity production projects, etc., started. The enforcement of the contract “Measurement of water volume in mains and control of pumping stations operation” provides the installation and replacement of meters, pressure and water meters at pumping stations, which contributed to making the water supply system more efficient and reducing water losses. One of the most magnificent subprojects were implemented under the Contract concluded with the company “Todini Costruzioni Generali” (Italy): the water supply networks in 76 sectors, with the overall length of 111.6 km were built and replaced.
2300 employees work in S.A. „Apa-Canal Chisinau“, the value of fixed assets equates billions of MDL.
The following refer to the fixed production assets of S.A. „Apa-Canal Chisinau“:
- Nistru Water Station, Water Treatment Station, which ensure the treatment of Nistru River water;
- 137 artesian wells from which, at the moment, 76 operate, supplying fresh water to Chisinau municipality;
- 29 water pumping stations;
- sewage treatment plants in Chisinau municipality, Vadul lui Voda t., Durlesti, Colonita township.
S.A. „Apa-Canal Chisinau“ is an important communal enterprise in Chisinau municipality and plays a leading role in the field of water supply in the Republic of Moldova. Since 1997, it has been reorganized into a joint stock company with 100% state capital, and in 2000, it was transferred to the public property of Chisinau municipality.